Home Means Nevada

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Go Pack!

As football season gets into full swing, the debate of what we call the university in my city begins again.  It seems like there are many opinions when it comes the long running debate of Nevada vs UNR.

I have lived in Reno almost my whole life (I moved here when I was three from New York).  My dad is a professor at the university and I grew up calling it UNR (University of Nevada, Reno).  It was always the North had UNR and the South had UNLV.  As I got older, I realized that when I told people outside of Reno (or Nevada)  most didn't know what the "R" in UNR stood for.  Over the years I have begun to just call it Nevada, or University of Nevada.  When I refer to sports teams, I call them The Pack. 

Apparently there is a good deal of history surrounding the Nevada vs UNR debate.

The Reno school was the state's sole university and carried the name of University of Nevada through most its first century. Then the southern campus, which had been Nevada Southern was renamed the University of Nevada Las Vegas, UNLV. When that happened the Board of Regents renamed the older school, the University of Nevada, Reno.  It remains this way legally and officially still. 

Things get a bit more difficult though when it comes to the sports teams. UNLV joined an exclusive list of schools well known nationally, like UCLA and BYU, by their acronyms alone. That didn't happen with UNR, so in the early 90's there was a big push to take solitary claim over the Nevada title.  For the most part the efforts have been a success. 

The football team has Nevada written on their uniforms and Football Coach Ault calls us Nevada or the Nevada Wolf Pack.  The sweatshirts and t-shirts that I own say Wolf Pack, Pack, Nevada, or University of Nevada.  No Reno anywhere on it.

So this makes me wonder....what does everyone else think about this?  Is it Nevada?  Or is it UNR? What  I do know is that we wear our silver and blue proudly up North.  Get ready for a wave of blue next week UNLV, we're ready to defend our title!!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...