The Bigger the Risk, the Bigger the Reward

Friday, September 10, 2010

I have never considered myself much of a risk-taker.  I'm much more of the type of person who prefers watching the excitement pass by my window, as opposed to being the dare-devil who jumps out of a plane without double checking their chute. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't insulate myself in world of bubble wrap and packing foam. I just have never found the point of taking risks that ultimately may end up in a major injury.  I'm also not a big fan of moving at high speeds (unless in the protection of a car or an airplane).  I have never understood the appeal of "losing your stomach" on roller coasters. The only butterflies I like are the insect kind or the kind you get when your crush walks into a room.  Snowboarding/skiing?  I've tried it...no thanks (plus I don't like the cold).  Bungee jumping/sky diving? Yikes, I think I will pass. 

As I think about all of the things I "won't do" I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something.  I pride myself on being someone who is willing to try new things. But how true can that really be if I shy away from experiences that put me outside of my comfort zone? So in celebration of this whole "new year, new me" thing I'm working on, I figured this would also be a perfect time to throw caution into the wind and begin taking some risks.  So, with that said, a few of my "list-risks" include:
  • ROLLER-DERBY (I can't think of something that is so far opposite of me. And what screams bad-ass more than ladies on skates, tripping and smashing into each other?)
  • Learn how to play golf
  • Strike up a conversation with a stranger at least once a week (easier said then done)
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Feel comfortable enough to enjoy a meal at a restaurant, by myself (!!!!)
  • Find a winter sport that I enjoy (there is a reason why people come from all over the world to vacay here)
  • Sign-up for and take a class (through my gym, the city, parks & rec, etc)
  • Play some pool
  • Sing some karaoke
  • Stand up for myself and know that I come first.  If I'm not taking care of ME, then I'm no good to others. And if people get pissed, so be it...it's time for me...for once!
Some of these "list items" seem easy enough to achieve. Others are part of what I like to call the "Sarah Scared Shitless List" and will require some major pep-talks to make happen.  I'm a believer in the phrase "the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward" and am confident that as I start checking things off,  I will find some hidden treasures along the way....or maybe just a few life lessons....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...