Sometimes You Just Need To...

Monday, January 24, 2011

The number one question I hear on Monday's is, "How was your weekend Sarah?"

I almost always respond "it was good" as I re-play my weekend in my head searching for some details that are appropriate to share with my co-workers or the person who is wondering.  I don't live a super crazy life, but telling the people I work with that I spent the weekend drinking or partying doesn't seem like the most appropriate answer to share with people at a middle school. 

I guess I have already developed a bit of a reputation (by my secretary that is) of being a "party girl".  I think that's a bit of an over-exaggeration, but I do like to partake in the variety of special events that this city has to offer.  Wine Walk?  I'm there!  A "crawl" downtown?  You bet, I like most of them (Santa, Zombie, Pirate, etc).  A night out on the town? Count me in! Honestly, I really don't need much of a reason to go out and have a good time.  A good time will follow where ever I'm at. 
So when people at work asked me today how my weekend was, they were surprised to hear that my relaxing weekend consisted of me spending time at home.  Yes, you read that right.  I spent the majority of my weekend at home!

Now don't get me wrong, I had plenty of invites to do things.  My wine-tasting group had our monthly "meeting" and the theme was champagne (my fav!).  I was invited to play cards and games with some of my Besties.  And performing artist (singer) Mickey Avalon was in town and normally I would have loved to see his show.  Surprisingly enough, I declined all invites.

Why?  I decided that for once, I needed a little ME time!  I couldn't remember the last time I spent a Saturday night at home.  The idea of spending the day in my yoga-pants and tshirt actually excited me!  When my friends asked if I was ok, I realized that I was just fine.  As I tried to make excuses for why I didn't want to go out, I came to the conclusion that there was absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have a low-key weekend to myself.  The next few weekends are going to be jam-packed with a variety of events ranging from a Superbowl Party, bday celebrations (mine and others), and an Engagement Party in El Lay for my brother and his fiance.  A weekend to myself was exactly what I needed to recharge my system.


I spent my Saturday night kitty-sitting my mom's cat and watching old movies my mom had saved on her DVR.  I watched a wonderfully inaccurate Western called "Virginia City" and while the love-story held up, I laughed at the scenery.  Since when does Northern Nevada look like the Grand Canyon?  I was in bed by 10:30 and asleep by 11. 

I woke up Sunday morning to missed calls and texts from the night before from several of my friends wondering what I was up to and if I would come out and "play".  I was happy to wake up rejuvenated, well-rested, and most importantly NOT hungover!  (CLICK HERE TO READ WHY I'VE STOPPED DRINKING)

The lesson I learned this past weekend was it's not only OK to take some "me time" it's also desperately important to do so.  Most of us spend our lives running from one place to another.  We work hard to make sure that others are taken care of and that other people's needs are met.  I'm glad that I was able to put myself first and take a time-out just for ME!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...