She Said YES!

Monday, January 17, 2011
Let me start off by saying that I have always been a proud Big Sister.

I love my brother more then words can say.  He and I have always been super close, and while we had our bickering as children, I would say that we have a pretty solid relationship.  Yes, we need to stay in better communication and talk more.  But when we do reconnect, it's like we haven't missed a beat. And even though he lives in Southern California, the hundreds of miles that separate us feels like just a stone's throw.

Dan is exactly two and a half years younger then me. Although he's super sarcastic, he's also the smartest most intelligent, humble person I know.  He's so articulate, level headed, and responsible.  While I have always been the free spirit, my brother has always been the one to achieve any goal he sets (and with flying colors).  He may be my little brother, but I have to admit that I constantly look up to him!

In addition to being the more "responsible" sibling, Dan has also been the one who is great with relationships. While I am the queen of "flitter-flattering" around the "dating/love world" he thrives in a serious relationship.

During his freshman year of college my brother met a beautiful blond name Lauren.  I won't get into the story of how they met exactly as it's not what's important.  What is important? That interaction in the dorms of UCLA brought two hearts together.  I remember hearing about Lauren over the next few months.  I loved that she had martial arts black belts (so does my brother) and loved the idea of a woman who could keep my brother in-line.  I loved her love for adventure.  And I loved that she hated onions too!

Dan and Lo have been dating since college and they are what you say in Hebrew, "B'Shert".  The literal translation of this is "meant to be" or "destined to be together".  I 100% believe that these two amazing people are destined to spend their lives together!

Over the years, I have fallen in love with Lauren as much as my brother has.  Ok, well prob not AS MUCH as my brother has, but I'm in a close 2nd running.  She is a beautiful woman both inside and out.  I am thankful that she and I have formed our own relationship and communicating with her directly is not only never awkward, it's always a true pleasure.  Hearing from Lo always brings a smile to my face.  Seeing her warms my heart.  And having her in my life makes me a better person. 

This past December, my brother and Lauren went on yet another European vacation (lucky!), this time to Eastern Europe.  While on their trip, on a cold and snowy night, my brother proposed to Lauren.  And of course, she said YES!!!  My brother called me the next morning (midnight Reno-time) to share the good news.  I think I cried on the phone.  I know I'm getting all chocked up now writing about it.

We all knew (or at least my family and I knew) that my brother was thinking of asking for Lauren's hand in marriage.  He came to Reno in October to discuss rings with my mom, and I was honored to be able to sit in on the convo.  My brother worked hard designing the ring of Lo's dreams, being super secretive the whole time. It felt like my brother was in the middle of some covert operation, that I was let in on.  And any mention of "the mission" would lead to a painful death.

The ring!
So needless to say, I have been waiting A WHILE to share this news.  Now that the ring is on Lauren's finger, and both of their facebook statuses have been changed to "engaged" I think it's safe for me to share my excitement. 

Wedding talk is already in the air, and I can't wait for everything this next year has in store.  But more then all the pomp and circumstance involved with the nuptials, I'm excited for the future. 

Through this union, I will be gaining a sister.  I have always wanted a sister, and have been secretly envious of all my friends who have that bond.  So within the next year or so, I will get the sister I've always wanted.  And not only that, I get the addition of more family!  You see, in addition to wanting a sister, I also wanted to come from a big family, as mine is pretty small. The addition of Lauren's family has my grinning from ear-to-ear.  I had the pleasure of meeting them this past Thanksgiving, and let me just tell you they are fantastic.  Her mom is so loving, her dad is hilarious with his accents, and her brother is like the little brother I always wanted (since Dan has always acted more mature then me). 

This next year is going to be an exciting one, and I can't wait to see how 2011 unfolds.  I have a feeling it's going to be a time of change, celebration, milestones, and new beginnings.

And with that said....
Congrats and a million Mazels to Daniel and Lauren!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...