Rediscovering Reno: When ART takes over the TOWN

Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Summer evenings in Reno are like Mother Nature giving you a big hug!"
 ~ Some pearls of wisdom from yours-truly after a few cocktails.

A few days ago I was having some cocktails with friends outside on my patio.  It was early evening, the sun was setting, there was a slight breeze, and it was still warm.  As the vodka/lemonade I was sipping started to take effect, and as the summer air took a deep breath, I declared:

"Summer evenings in Reno are like Mother Nature giving you a big hug!"

As silly as what I said is, there is some truth behind it. It seems like everyone is in such a good mood, and everyone is happy to be interacting outdoors.

One of my favorite things about Reno in the summertime is all of the things there are to do.  And with long days, and beautiful evenings it makes me want to stay outside as long as possible.

Reno IS Artown

During the month of July, Artown is held.  This year is the 16th Anniversary of the event.  Sixteen years!  I remember when it used to be a little one-week event that included story-telling, the Chautauqua, and a few concerts/events.  Now Artown is a month long celebration that takes place all over Reno.

The highlight of Artown is that the majority of the events are FREE.  And the variety in activities is broad.  Concerts, exhibits, shows, dancing, art projects, speakers GALORE!!! It's easy to stay connected and find out what's going on each day with the Artown website, Facebook Page, Twitter updates, pamphlets, posters, and even an iPhone App.


Celtic Dancing on a beautiful night in Wingfield Park

In the last week I attended a Celtic Dance Show in Wingfield Park. Those girls can sure dance!  How they move their legs so quickly, I will never know.  The highlight of that night was when one of my best friends, Ms. B., got on stage and danced with a group of children.  Live music at Se7en on West.  If you haven't been to Se7en, it's definitely one of Reno's hidden secrets.  They seriously make one of the best mojitos in town.  And the variety of live bands they have are refreshing.  A guaranteed good time.  The annual Art in the Garden event, that supports the Washoe County Library System. I left this year with an antique planter/vase thing that will be a perfect addition to my re-vamped patio/garden area.



Art in the Garden 2011

While I would have liked to have attended some more events, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  We're only in the first week of July, and there is PLENTY of Artown left to enjoy.

Tomorrow I plan on heading back down to West Street in the morning for the opening day of their weekly Farmer's Market.  I thought this would be a perfect way to load up on fruits and veggies for my clean eating (READ ABOUT IT HERE) and participate in the opening day festivities.

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weekend as much as I am!

Oh, and for a complete calendar of Artown events, PLEASE CLICK HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...