If I Had a MILLION (or more) Dollars...

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The holiday's are supposed to be a time about giving.  A time to be thankful for what we have.  A time to spend time with our family and those we love. 

I think the key word in what I said above is SUPPOSED TO.  As I have gotten older, it seems to me that the holidays have really become a time for mass consumption and overspending.  This year, millions of people nation-wide flocked to stores on Black Friday to find whatever deals they could.  A riot took place in upstate New York as crazed shoppers rushed into a Target.

Is this really what the holiday season is about?

Being Jewish, I (obviously) don't celebrate Christmas.  I don't wake up on Christmas morning to dozens of presents to open.  And to be honest, I haven't "cashed in" on the eight days of presents and loot, that people think goes hand-in-hand with Chanukah, since I was a child. 

As the nation is dealing with one of the hardest-hit economies in decades, you would think people would be more conscious of their spending habits.  I have honestly found just the opposite. 

Look at all of this ridiculous stuff people, who have money to blow, are buying!!!!

24k Gold Pills
Ever wanted to shit gold?
The tag line on these outrageous pills are: "Indulge your 'inner' self with these 24k gold leaf capsules. 
Digest to increase self worth."

Created by artists and visionaries Tobias Wong and Ju$t Another Rich Kid, these pills are for people who have so much money and are looking for a good way to waste it. 
For a mere $799 you too can own these gold dipped pills that are filled with gold flakes. 

At first I thought there may be some health value to these.  Maybe some healing powers of gold? After reading some reviews, I discovered there is no redeemable value to these except for bragging rights for ingesting a shit-load of gold.  And when I say shit-load, I mean shit-load. 
People who did take these pills reported  no side effects except for sparkly poop.

Thanks but no thanks, I will pass on this one.  But if you ARE interested in buying these gold pills,

Diamond Encrusted iPhone
Bling Bling...you have an incoming call!
Now, I'm DEF a girl who LOVES her bling.  They do say diamonds are a girls best friend after all.  This phone however, takes bling to a whole new level.  You can make your calls and text your friends in style with this modified iPhone.

It features (get this) 500 flawless diamonds!  It includes a SEVEN-CARAT pink diamond inserted into the navigation button that is set in platinum and rose gold.  And if pink diamonds aren't your thing you can also get a clear seven-carat diamond instead.

The cost of this beauty? ONLY $8,000,000!!!

The MOST EXPENSIVE Tequila in the WORLD
Only thing missing is the diamond encrusted worm.
A Mexican distillery recently created what they're hoping will be the world's most expensive bottle of tequila.  This ridiculous bottle is covered in FIVE POUNDS of platinum and is encrusted with FOUR THOUSAND diamonds (over 300 carats of bling).  The bottle is named "Diamond's Law" by the distillery, and is estimated to cost (wait for it) $3.5 MILLION dollars!  The liquid inside is a mixture of three different tequilas that have been aged up to seven years.  This one bottle took over 20 people to make.

Although it would look pretty on a shelf, I could think of a million other (BETTER) ways to spend that money if I had it.  How about a house? A car?  A plane?  And if I did need some diamonds in my life, I prefer to have a copy of that engagement ring that Kate Middleton has on her finger....

A Bear with Golden Hair
A teddy bear that makes all the others look like play-things....
At first glance, this looks like an ordinary teddy bear.  Made by a toy company called Steiff, which claims to have made the world's first teddy bear EVER, they commissioned this golden bear to celebrate their 125th Anniversary. 

This unique bear is actually quit a collectors item.  Its fur is made of REAL GOLD and its eyes are made of sapphires and diamonds.  Although you can find versions of this bear made out of cotton, this bear has a mouth made of solid gold, fur made from gold thread, and eyes with pupils of sapphire and irises made from 20 tiny diamonds. Only 125 of this limited edition "Jubilee Bear" have been produced.

And the cost on this adorable bear...$71,500.


So as we are just a handful of days away from Christmas, I wonder what everyone is hoping to "get" this year.  To change things up a bit, I made some of my friends presents.  It's a craft one of my friends had posted on her Facebook that I thought was really fun.  I will post the project on my blog after the holidays so I don't blow the surprise for my girlies who are receiving this. 

As 2010 comes to a close, I have realized getting two weeks off is present enough for me.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy working for the school district?

Oh...and to any of you out there who are feeling a bit generous this year, I will be happy to receive any of the above lavish items.  Well, except for the gold pills...sparkly poop will be wasted on me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...